Monday, August 25, 2008

Lions, Tigers, and Bears- Oh my!

Ok, so everyone has heard the bear story- and it was getting a bit old. So this weekend we went to Winter Park in search of new stories. Jeff went hiking by Berthoud Pass up above treeline hoping to see some wildlife. Casey and I are not up for these 3 hour high-altitude hikes in our current state, so we stayed in the condo. I got an excited phone call from Jeff on his ride home... "Guess what I saw?" Well, I know we have seen bears and moose close-up, so I could only imagine what could top that- A MOUNTAIN LION. Turns out I was not quite right- he saw TWO mountain lions up on the pass. He says they were really fast, and have a long tail that flicks like a cat's tail. They were a bit bigger than a coyote, and serious enough that Jeff changed his planned hike to go another direction and avoid them entirely. Turns out the Lasix surgery was worth the money- I doubt he would have seen such an awesome sight with his old eyes. I just wish he had brought the camera along so I could have seen them too. So many people hike their whole lives and never get to see a mountain lion. What a cool summer of animal sightings we are having- we need to see them now, because next summer we aren't going to be quite as happy to see big animals while we are hiking with the little angel.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Jeff, you need to carry a camera with you! Be careful out there.