Sunday, March 29, 2009

Freezer woes


So, a bad thing happened to us today. Jeff discovered that our big chest freezer in the garage had come unplugged. It is a big ole freezer and was full of wild game, frozen back-up foods, and 4 MONTHS OF BREAST MILK! Jeff was very sad to loose so much elk, deer, and pheasant- although some of it on the bottom was still nearly frozen so he kept the pre-cooked stuff. But the breast milk was on the top and well defrosted. We think it might have been unplugged for as long as 2 weeks, so in the trash went all of that milk. I want to cry. It took me so much work, pain and messing around to store up milk for back-up. I was so proud to have a back-up stash- just in case. And once I was done breast feeding we would still have milk to carry Lauren through for a few weeks. It has been something that I really wanted to do for her- give her only breast milk, no formula. Whenever I was screwing around with the stupid pump and all the parts to clean, I just thought of what a wonderful gift I was giving my baby. And to see so much go into the trash- Oh man.... I know it will be OK, and I know that formula is not bad, but it was a choice I was trying to make. Stupid freezer...

3 comments:

Joe said...

that sucks,.. sorry to hear that. lil' rockstar looks so cute!!
we can't wait to meet her

Laurie said...

I almost cried reading that. It is so horrible to lose the liquid gold you work so hard for. Hang in there!

Krista said...

OMG. That is so hard...all that work in the garbage....
We had that happen once too, Ben lost 2 deer...but that was before kids so no breastmilk thank goodness!