Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday!!

Happy Fat Tuesday! Did you know that "Mardi Gras" is literally french for "Fat Tuesday"? Today is the day to whoop it up before the beginning of lent (Ash Wednesday tomorrow) and all of the fasting and behaving begins. Another factoid I would like to share with you? The King's cake that is traditional Mardi Gras feasting in New Orleans- well it is sometimes called the Three King's cake and refers to the three wisemen who came to visit baby Jesus in the manger. Yep, and the little baby that you bake into the cake represents the one-and-only baby Jesus himself. It is kind of crazy how religious tradition takes on a new meaning sometimes. I am fairly certain that the Pope will not be tossing beads from his little balcony, and probably prefers a bit more traditional observation of the holy days...

What will you give up for lent this year? I am tempted to give up Diet Coke, but I am not sure that I can make it 6 whole weeks. The withdrawal alone will probably kill me....

No comments: