Saturday, February 5, 2011

Egg-free French Toast

Hooray!! I made an amazing discovery this week. I ran across this recipe for french toast using flax seed in place of the eggs. No way!! The thought had crossed my mind, but I was fairly certain that it would not work out so I never tried it. Jamie is a fellow blogging mommy of boys with allergies, and I have found lots of good ideas on her blog, but this one takes the cake, Thanks Jamie!!
The recipe is pretty simple:
Mix 1 Tbsp flax seed (milled) with 3 Tbsp water and let it sit until it jells up- this equals one egg. I made the equivalent of 2 eggs and added a bit of vanilla soy milk and some cinnamon.  Lauren had fun dipping the bread and dropping it in the pan, and then we cut it into strips and dipped it in maple syrup. Amazing- it tasted almost exactly like regular french toast. She gobbled it right up, I think I am going to make it again this weekend so that Jeff can try it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! Isn't it fantastic? I'm so glad you all liked it. I'm still trying to convince my three year old that it's as good as pancakes. ;)