Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I did it! My first attempt at dairy-free, egg-free chocolate chip cookies, and they are delicious. I found some dairy-free chocolate chunks at target, and away we went. Jeff and I baked them together after Lauren went to bed- yummy! Here is my recipe, adapted from the toll-house recipe and adjusted for high altitude and food allergies:
Chocolate Chip Cookies at 5280 feet, dairy-free and egg-free

2 1/2 c flour (2 1/4 c at sealevel)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c shortening
2/3 c sugar (3/4 c at sealevel)
2/3 c brown sugar (3/4 c flatlanders)
2 Tbsp milled flaxseed
6 Tbsp water
12 oz dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Combine first 3 dry ingredients and set aside.
3. Using mixer, cream together the shortening and both types of sugar. Then add the flax and water.
4. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until well blended.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Form into round little balls with your hands, and arrange on a baking sheet. ( rolling them makes perfect round cookies).
7. Bake 10-15 minutes, I sometimes need to bake even longer. The flax seems to make them take longer than with eggs. Once my baking stones warm up, they bake a lot faster, the first batch was almost 20 minutes.
8. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy with a glass of soy milk!

No comments: