Monday, September 5, 2011

The Help

I recently finished this book, seems like everyone is reading it and I am not one to be left out on such things. Quite intriguing, and I really liked it. Didn't love it, maybe it was all the hype- maybe it just needs to marinate in my mind. But, certainly worth picking up for a quick read. If you are planning on seeing the movie, I always recommend reading the book first- I find the characters I create in my mind are more exciting and vivid than the characters in a movie- if you watched it before reading the book I suspect you would loose all that.

The story is about the lives and complex relationships between black women who work as maids for white women in Jacksonville in the 1960's. It is thought provoking, and relatively light-hearted although it deals with some difficult topics such as racism and class divisions in society. I would be interested in hearing what you all thought of this book (since everyone is reading it, I am guessing you have too!!)

2 comments:

Krista said...

I read it "late" into the buzz too, just a couple months ago. I loved it. I think partly because I didn't have any expectations at all, I actually had gotten it two other times from the library and hadn't gotten to it and didn't think I was going to like it. I read a lot more non-fiction than fiction and I thought this was one of the better fiction books I've read in a long time. (Water for Elephants was the last one I really loved) I find many "popular" fiction authors go for the over the top emotional (Sparks), really depressing or grab content from headlines (Picoult). All of which I find tedious and annoying. The fact that she was able to deal with such difficult topics without making it any of the above things I thought was a credit to her. I have not seen the movie yet either, I likely will at some point. I've heard good things about it from others who liked the book.
Krista

Anne Ferge said...

I read it back in 2009. Loved it! I think I will have to see the movie this weekend since the boys will be North bear hunting.
:)
Anne Ferge