Friday, September 23, 2011

Whoopie Pie

Lauren and I made Whoopie pies- pretty easy to make and Oh so fun!



Recipe:
Devil's food cake- I have a  recipe from Jeff's grandma that is my personal favorite (modified for Lauren's allergies). Of course you could make this from a box mix as well. I messed up and substituted too many "eggs" with flax and they turned out totally fine.

Spray a cookie sheet or baking stone with non-stick spray. Take a tablespoon of batter and drop it on the sheet, then spead it into a round shape mound with the back of the spoon. The more uniform in shape and size your mounds turn out, the easier the next part will be. My recipe made 24 mounds (12 pies). Bake about 12-15 minutes until the spring back when touched and a toothpick comes out clean. (my baking times are not that accurate- since I make so many substitutions and bake at altitude- just check yours and figure out your own times). Allow to cool on the baking stone for a few minutes then transefer carefully to a cooling rack. I allowed them to cool completely while Lauren napped. If they are not cool enough, I imagine frosting will be a mess.
Next, flip over half of the pie pieces and drop about a tablespoon of frosting in the middle, and spread it out with a knife almost to the edges. I used jar frosting because it is dairy-free and  I have not perfected this one yet.  Match each "bottom" with a similar sized top and press together until the frosting oozes all the way to the edges. Lauren loved helping with this part. It got messy, but who cares?
Final step- put sprinkles in a bowl and roll the sides of the pies until the frosting was coated in sprinkles. This part was all Lauren- she did a great job!
Viola! Ready to eat! I stored them in a tightly sealed tupperware, if you refrigerate them remember to warm to room temp prior to eating - the frosting is better when it is melty and not too stiff.

No comments: