Friday, September 4, 2009

The Cottage Cheese Incident (CCI)

Mmmmm Cottage cheese. Lauren was having fun with her dish of cottage cheese. But, she actually didn't like it at all- she would cringe and spit it out if I tried to feed her any.

The really bad news- about 10 minutes after I took this photo she broke out in really bad hives all over. Essentially covering her face, neck, hands and lower arms- with a bunch of isolated hives everywhere else. And lots of sneezing. This is the 3rd time she has done this with dairy- I think we have a problem. Once she ate yogurt and didn't have any trouble- so I dont really get it?? I have been praying all along that Lauren doesn't get my crazy allergy issues :(

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Bummer! I am scared of food allergies (they run in Joe's family) so I have avoided all dairy. I don't know what is so magic about turning a year old, but I will have my fingers crossed that day!

Krista said...

Maya can't have dairy either, for her it's a digestive issue. We're still trying to figure out if it's the lactose or the milk proteins. Some people with dairy issues can get by with yogurt because it's cultured and the same with kefir because it's fermented.
If she's having a classic allergy reaction you may want to read labels and avoid products with casein and whey. Bread, cereals and most boxed/processed foods often have one or the other hidden in there.
The good news is that many kids who have those classic allergy reactions to dairy as babies end up growing out of it.