Monday, August 30, 2010

Peach crisp

Peach (Rhubarb) Crisp Recipe
On Saturday night we went to a friends house for dinner and I made a peach crisp to bring along, it is a really good recipe, so I thought I would share, it is really easy to make dairy and egg free. The recipe is actually for a Rhubarb crisp, but I went to the farmers market on saturday morning and the Colorado peaches were excellent so I bought a bunch and changed the recipe a bit. I have made this with straight rhubarb and with rhubarb and strawberries together many times - you kind of have to modify the sugar and such depending on what fruit you use, I cut the sugar way back and added lemon juice because the peaches were so sweet. This recipe is a good ole stand-by from my Great Aunt Jayne.

Topping:

2-3 c. chopped peaches (or rhubarb, strawberries, blueberries, use what is tasty and abundant)
1 c. sugar ( I never use this much- used about 1/4 c with the peaches, more with rubarb- start low and taste as it cooks)
1/3 c. water
2 T cornstarch
1/2 c. pineapple (optional) ~ i've never added this because I never have it around

Crust:
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 c flour
1 c brown sugar
3/4 c oatmeal (I use quick oats).
1/2 c butter, softened (Fleishman's unsalted margarine is dairy- free)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease/ spray a 9x13 pan. Mix together the first five ingredients (topping) in a saucepan and cook until thick and bubbly. Taste as you go and add more sugar or some cinnamon to make it tasty.  While this is simmering, mix together the last 5 ingredients and press most of it into the pan. Save a bit for topping. (if you forget to save the topping like I always do- I just sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon to make it look pretty). Once the topping is thick and tasty, poor it over the crust and sprinkle with the remaining crumbles you saved behind.  Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown- this totally depends on your fruit and pan- but about 15- 30 minutes will usually do the trick. I am so not a recipe girl, I dont measure any of this or time it out and it turns out yummy, this is a recipe you cannot really mess up.



No comments: