Monday, April 5, 2010

Croup

Croup is scary- if you have ever seen it, you know what I mean. Today I got Lauren up and when I went to change her, she made a loud wheeze/ gasping sound. Like- really loud. I was scared almost speachless, I was worried she had something ( a toy, button, etc...) in her airway. She has not been sick, so I thought of croup but figured she would have other symptoms. I called for Jeff and he came running up- apparently I barely wispered, "Jeff, can you come up here right now?" and the tone in my voice freaked him out.  He heard one squeak out of her- and said "She can't breathe, we are going to the hospital." So, off we went to the ER. She got a bit better on the way there, which made me think it was more likely croup- and the cool air outside was helping. But my hands were still shaking and I could barely talk when we got to the ER. The nurse we saw in triage was a guy I know and he apparently picked up on how freaked out we were right away. 
Anyway, it is just a classic case of croup- she got some steroids and has been starting to cough throughout the day.  I had to call in sick to work AGAIN, this is not a good thing at all. We need a grandma to move here ASAP before I loose my job!!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Croup is scary and hard! Steroids are hard too -- hang in there Mom!

Anne said...

I believe I remember either you or Rob having this as a little kid. You'll have to ask your mom about it.

Catherine Anne said...

It is! We have had our times with it. Hope she is feeling better soon~