Saturday, March 20, 2010

Nanny weekend #1

So, this weekend is the first weekend since Lauren was born that Jeff and I are working the same weekend. We both work one weekend a month, and when Lauren was born we switched to opposite weekends so that one of us could be home with while the other one is working. This has been hard on us for the past year- we only have 2 free weekends per month to do stuff together and to go up to the mountains. So, part of our new year resolution was to get more family time and get our lives back to normal. 

Step 1: hire a nanny. Easier said than done. Today is the very first time we have paid someone to watch Lauren besides her daycare. Her nanny is Michelle, and she works at Lauren's daycare and is a new college grad. She is very quiet and sweet and had 2 "trial runs" - once when Jeff was home and working on the computer downstairs, and trial 2 was dogsitting Casey when we went to Florida. Casey seemed OK, so here we go....  I have only called her once so far (not gonna tell you what time it is...) and I could hear Lauren laughing in the background. Is it always going to be this hard to trust someone with Lauren?  I spent hours shopping online for nanny-cams but Jeff talked me out of it. I probably couldn't figure out the technology to set it up anyway.  Will keep you posted on how the rest of the weekend goes. The good news- we have THREE weekends in a row off together after this- yipee!!

Step 2: Put Lauren in daycare and ski together. Done. We did this last weekend when our friends were in town and it went well. I had to be talked into it. The food allergy thing had me worried- there could be sippy cups of milk everywhere and what if these people forgot? Nothing happened! and Jeff and I got to ski together for the first time since April 2008- WOW~! It was about time, I would say. This was a great step for us.

Step 3: Hire a babysitter and go on a date.  Working on this one. Really, we are- I have 4 phone numbers from teachers at our daycare.  We have until the 3rd week of May to accomplish step 3, so be patient (mom!).

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Congrats Mama!

Catherine Anne said...

If only we lived closer. We would love to be Laurens Nanny for the weekend... :)

Nicole said...

Thank you Catherine- that would be very nice. ;)

Mom said...

Maybe you should move closer to me so I could take care of her. Hint-Hint! Oh, and did I ever mention no one ever gets sick here and the weather is always beautiful.