Friday, October 23, 2009

Allergy Issues

This allergy stuff is getting old. Lauren has a severe allergy to milk protein and eggs. By severe allergy, we are not talking just lactose intolerance but true hives, swelling and scary reaction. Her pediatrician was concerned enough to draw labs at 9 months, and confirmed a very high IgE level against milk and eggs- he claimed to actually be surprised/ impressed by how high her levels are. This was one of my big fears all along- I did not want to pass my crazy food allergies on to Lauren. I tried to be so careful about introducing new foods. She did not have a single drop of formula until she was 10 months old and her pediatrician said I had to try formula because my milk was probably contaminated with milk and eggs. And alas, she still has these allergies.

She gets these allergies from me- I was very allergic to milk until I was a teenager, and my brother was similar. And I have a very seriously peanut allergy as well. I have been very worried for her about passing on the peanut allergy, it is too soon to tell, though. She did not have IgE against peanut yet, but she has not yet been exposed to it. We are going to put that off as long as possible.

Dealing with the allergies has been really tricky and frustrating, I actually was fortunate enough to run accross some blogging friends who are in the exact same situation. I really looked to blogging for a way to share my life with far-away family and friends, but now I see it is so much more. There are many women out there with kids with similar allergies who blog recipes and advice about how they cope in these situations- I am so thankful to find these women and I hope to one day have the experience and insight to add some info too. A couple of the bloggers that I am looking at are Boys rule my life and milk allergy mom. This is where I found a recipe for a birthday cake for Lauren that does not use milk or eggs- yipee!

4 comments:

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe said...

Sorry to hear about Lauren's allergies. We are here for you guys if you need anything. I deleted the last one.. too many errors, lol...hang in there. miss you guys~!

Laurie said...

Oh Nicole.....this makes me so sad. I am so glad you have found some great blogs! I learn alot from other moms. I have been thinking of a parietal foramina blog and you just inspired me to do it. It's nice to know there are other people out there in your situation.

Thinking of you often and call me anytime!!!

These munchkins owe us bigtime someday for all this stress, but what would we do without them????

Love you guys!

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Welcome to the Allergy Mom blog community! It's a place we we were all so happy to find comfort, but still a place where we wish we could just return our "membership card". :)

Blogging was just a way to keep in contact with friends and family for me, too, UNTIL.... I am so glad to have found the other moms that deal with life threatening allergies as well. It has made these last two years more bearable to be able to bounce off ideas and recipes.

If you don't already have the book, I HIGHLY recommend GO DAIRY FREE. So much wonderful information and recipes. I reviewed it here: http://boysrulemylife.blogspot.com/2009/01/go-dairy-free.html (in case you are interested.) Forgive my bluntness in recommendations, but I really wish I had this book in the beginning, but still enjoyed it very much after after living dairy free for over a year. :)

Looking forward to getting to know you!
Becky