Friday, July 15, 2011

Love and Logic

We are attending a "Parenting with Love and Logic" seminar tomorrow. Jeff is grumpy and irritated, I am pretty excited. Life with a 2 year old is tough! Jeff doesn't realize it, but he needs it more than me. She can turn on those tears and cries like a light switch to get her way- especially when he is around. He also has never put her in time-out, just threatens it. She has him wrapped around her little finger, I hope this helps! I am not a saint, we both are struggling~ but I at least am reading about it and trying to learn. We will see how Jeff does. He already flat-out told me that he will walk out if there are any role-playing exercises. I might need to call a cab to bring me home, because after paying for the seminar and paying for a babysitter to watch her while we attend it- I will NOT be leaving with him. Wish me luck!!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

I own the book and I've read most of it. Let me know how the class is! Good Luck Jeff! Parenting is the hardest job ever!

Krista said...

Good luck! I started reading that one and it just did not resonate with me. I did not feel like I could pull it off without sounding totally fake and very patronizing. I have many friends who have liked it though. I am a parenting book junkie, I love reading them and take little bits of wisdom from most of them. It is rare that I *love* the whole thing but can usually find something worthwhile. I highly recommend "Kid's, Parents and Power Struggles" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. I think I learned as much about myself and my husband reading that one as I did my kids. It was a rare one where I liked the whole thing. "How to Talk so Kids Listen and Listen so Kids Talk" is a good one to read now too - it's more geared towards kids as they get older but offers a good foundation to build on.
Krista

Joe said...

Jeff, I feel for you.. what's wrong with having a daddy's girl? lol

Nicole said...

Laurie- I have read the book too. I think the general idea is great and it has worked for me on several occasions! I like the "invest now, dont pay later premisie" ie, enforce the rules every time, and suffer the drama so you dont have to deal with the same situation many times. the sarcasm, goofiness I probably cannot do.
Krista- you are a terrific mom and I always value your advice- thank you!

Krista said...

Thanks for the nice compliments :) How did it go?
Krista

Nicole said...

I will have to post more about it- but there was no role playing and Jeff was a good sport when he wasn't dozing off. Glad we went, althouh I dont see us singing the "uh-oh song" anytime soon.

Laurie said...

Can't wait for the post and you better prepare an uh oh song for the camping trip!

Krista said...

Hahaha, it was the using a sing song voice recommendations and the "uh-oh" and "that's so sad" that turned me off the book. I didn't realize there was a whole song LOL.
Krista