Thursday, January 14, 2010

Disaster in Haiti

How horrible about this earthquake in Haiti, it is such a poor country to begin with.  I have been following the disaster a little bit on CNN. Today I was captivated as they tried to rescue an 11 year-old girl who was still trapped under the rubble- I was crying through my lunch break. I just found out that they were able to free her, and am praying that she will be OK.  If you want to make a donation to the Red Cross International Relief Fund, just click on the link and it is really easy to donate online. 

But this story has really got me riled up. Pat Robertson, a Christian evangelist (read: guy who makes lots of money "selling" religion), is blaming the disaster on a pact that the Haitians made with the devil. Really?? So, he thinks hard, working innocent people- including children and clergy and healthcare workers- were struck down by God to pay for a pact made by people hundreds of years ago. Really??  I think the guy needs to read the bible a bit more and learn some humility.  The God that I believe in does not create disaster to punish people- I cannot believe that. Especially because I work around children with cancer on a daily basis. This guy has got to check himself- if anyone is going to be punished by a higher power, my money is on Pat doing some hard time himself. What a jerk!

ps- as I am writing this, the mormans just stopped by.... that should teach me to rant about religious stuff.... gotta go....

1 comment:

Laurie said...

One of the benefits to living in SL,UT.....no teams of missionaries at my door.

It is so sad!!!