Monday, January 25, 2010

Teething? Oh Joy...


Poor Lauren- we think she may finally be teething. She is screaming non-stop for the last few days. There really is no more drool, but she grabs her gums and cries. Poor baby. We have tried tylenol, motrin, cold teething rings, cold washcloth, vibrating teethers, popcicles, orajel. What else is left to try? She really isn't eating- I think it just hurts too much. Of all the interventions- the popcicle and motrin seem to be the only two that work- sometimes. She is up alot at night crying too. Any suggestions? I dont want her living on popcicles and motrin. :(  How long can the screaming go on? It is wearing us out- Jeff and I went to bed before 9pm tonight, drained!

8 comments:

Joe said...

That sucks. We have been going through that as well. Ask Laurie about these teething tablets we have (herbal stuff). They seem to work pretty good.

Joe said...

We have also tried rubbing whiskey on her gums and that works really well. So break open your Stranahans. Not quite shot ski material but just rubbing the gums works.

Nicole said...

We have the teething tabs- got them as a gift but haven't tried them yet. Are you serious about the Stranahans? I thought that was an old wife's tale...

Joe said...

Whiskey absolutely works, we thought it was kind of crazy too but ran out of options one night

Laurie said...

OK, We did whiskey. Ella was a grump one night last week and I knew her teeth were hurting --- she has 4 or 5 coming in at once including some molars. We did it....I never thought I would...but we did. After the most Mormon person I know told me a story about his Morman neighbor lady (strict Mormon as they come) kept a bottle of whiskey for the babies, I thought we'd give it a try. We've only done it that once, but it's amazing......she was a different kid in SECONDS!!! We used Crown Royal and Joe did it, because I don't like to be bitten!

Laurie said...

The crazy belladona teathing tabs help too --- she likes them! Ella has had motrin at bedtime for several nights in a row as well. It has to be horrible pain and I feel so badly for our little girls!

Mom said...

Many years ago when the kids we little I was told by their dentist about how to use whiskey for teething. He told me to pour a shot glass full and dip my finger in it and rub it on the babies gums. Drink the rest. Repeat this procedure as many times as necessary until the baby stops fussing(or you pass out and just can't hear them. He was kidding but it was a funny little story.

Laurie said...

Uh Oh, I hope Joe doesn't read the shot glass part. Although he did do his version of this. It was a capful and he drank the rest.....I'm glad it wasn't a full shot! :-)